SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantnut65

Injuried Titmouse

plantnut65
9 years ago

Several weeks ago I had a Titmouse come to the feeder and I wasn't paying real close attention to him at first, but he was being extremely acrobatic feeding around the other birds, but at the last moment I caught a glimpse of his legs and it looked like he had lost a leg, but he was gone before I had a chance to verify.

I was able to verify that a one legged titmouse is coming to my feeder, his left foot is gone but leg survived, so he does ok on the ground not a good thing. Now I'm wondering, he seems to have adapted to some strange feeding acrobatic acts, at the feeder, but he gets very little food, before other titmice chase him away, and as for as I know, titmice are year around, I'm not sure that with the limited amounts of seed he will make through the winter. I really don't know what to do. I hate the cards that are handed out, so I'm wondering what you guys think. Should I interfere or let chance take it toll. I'm pretty sure what most of you will say, but it's me that watches this unfold. It is a male, going by what I was told to look for. The patch above the beak is larger than most the titmice at the feeder. I believe I can catch this guy with a butterfly net, that is, if Ace still has some in stock. It means keeping him in a cage for winter and then releasing him in the spring, let me know if there are other options.

Comments (4)