SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newdaddy2

Does cayenne pepper really deter rodents?

newdaddy2
13 years ago

I've done some research on the internet and learned that rodents hate cayenne pepper.

But do they really?

Attached is a photo of a platform feeder that I placed right below my tube feeder hanging from a tree, to be used as a debris collector. The platform feeder is covered with cayenne pepper, as can be seen in the photo. The picture is worth a thousand words; the chipmunk doesn't seem deterred or displeased by cayenne pepper. In fact, it is happily collecting sunflower hearts mired in cayenne pepper under the metal mesh.

So, is this particular chipmunk a mutant that is somehow immune to cayenne pepper?

More importantly, does this mean vermins like mice or rats may not be deterred by cayenne pepper? I'm not so much worried about squirrels/chipmunks raiding my birdfeeder as mice/rats. I cover the birdfeeders at night but there is always the inevitable seed spillage on the ground that rodents just love to forage. Much as I like watching birds eating from my feeders, I'd rather do away with the feeders if I can't rest assured that mice/rats are being kept at bay with cayenne pepper.

Image link:

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio