Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does cayenne pepper really deter rodents?

Posted by newdaddy2 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 17:04

I've done some research on the internet and learned that rodents hate cayenne pepper.

But do they really?

Attached is a photo of a platform feeder that I placed right below my tube feeder hanging from a tree, to be used as a debris collector. The platform feeder is covered with cayenne pepper, as can be seen in the photo. The picture is worth a thousand words; the chipmunk doesn't seem deterred or displeased by cayenne pepper. In fact, it is happily collecting sunflower hearts mired in cayenne pepper under the metal mesh.

So, is this particular chipmunk a mutant that is somehow immune to cayenne pepper?

More importantly, does this mean vermins like mice or rats may not be deterred by cayenne pepper? I'm not so much worried about squirrels/chipmunks raiding my birdfeeder as mice/rats. I cover the birdfeeders at night but there is always the inevitable seed spillage on the ground that rodents just love to forage. Much as I like watching birds eating from my feeders, I'd rather do away with the feeders if I can't rest assured that mice/rats are being kept at bay with cayenne pepper.

Image link: Does cayenne pepper really deter rodents? (55 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does cayenne pepper really deter rodents?

That's a really nice feeder!

o

Thanks. I bought it from Lowes. manufactured by Garden Treasures. It has small irrigation holes on the bottom and also comes with the metal mesh. I think it's more functional and durable than platform feeders made of wood.

o

I've used the C&S Hot Pepper Suet and the squirrels left it alone. I've also used a pepper (capsaicin) spray on wisteria and rhododendron buds with some success. The squirrels decimate one particular rhododendron (Percy Wiseman) in late winter. Unfortunately they take a bite and don't like it. Then a day or so later one of them takes a bite and doesn't like it. After a while there are no bites left. Next winter I'm constructing a rhododendron cage.

Claire

o
RE RE: Does cayenne pepper really deter rodents?

As to your original question, I have no idea if cayenne pepper deters mice and rats. It's not a problem for me.

Claire

o

Cayenne might not be hot enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here