Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oriole south migration underway

Posted by hawkeye_wx (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 14, 09 at 11:47

I was looking out my window this morning and saw a female oriole land on the shepherd hook where the orange/jelly feeder is hanging. Unfortunately, I had not yet refilled the empty jelly trays so it flew off. This is the first oriole I've seen in two months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oriole south migration underway

Cool! Maybe I'd better refill mine as well!

o

I,m in southwest Colorado and the nights are getting cool.
I had three nesting pairs of Bullocks Orioles. After the young got big enough i had also eleven young orioles. The adult males left first. and in this last week all but 5 of the others are gone too.

o

Folks if you like orioles, enjoy gardening and have the space I have a truly cool tip: plant a grape arbor. I live in Boston near downtown and have always enjoyed gardening. Living in the city, seeing orioles was a rare treat... but not any more. Three years ago I planted a concord grape and trained it up to cover our 2nd story deck. The number of birds attracted has risen exponentially of these three years. Seeing ten orioles at a time is now pretty common. Also attracted are cardinals, jays, and catbirds. There are so many birds out there right now that there probably won't be enough grapes to make jam once they fully ripen. Do I mind, not at all

o

Wow! Another tip I'm going to follow, if possible! I wonder if I can grow grapes in Albuquerque (still hoping to move there next yr)?

o

I've been trying to get an Oriole for years. I took this pic last week thinking it was an immature robin. I posted it on another board and two people told me it was an immature Baltimore Oriole! I want a bird and when I finally see it I don't even know what it looks like! I suck as a birder. *sigh* At least it's a lifer for me. :)

o

The one female oriole stayed for a couple weeks, but I have not seen another.

o

So far ours here in WI are still around eating the jelly but it won't be long now. I think our hummers left though. =(

Donna

o

the last of my orioles left out yesterday. I had three nesting pairs of bullocks orioles and got 11 young ones
the male adults left over a month ago and since then the others are leaving in small groups. The last two did not show up today at all so i assume they left yesterday.
I expermented this year with a variety of fruits and they ate most anything i put out, One loved watermelon and they all liked apricots and cherrys, a couple drank orange juice from a lid everyday and a couple even ate plums.
Cantalope was not a big treat for them.

o

A male baltimore oriole came to my yard this afternoon. It has been back for grape jelly twice. I sure with I had more of these beautiful birds during spring/summer. With a little luck maybe he'll stay for a couple days. Most of my orioles in spring were one and done.

Hawkeye
East-central Iowa

o

Here is a pic of Mr and Mrs on their way south.

From 2009-09-07 yard

We got these HB feeders this year and the orioles loved them. It was the first year we had some stay and nest. We had at least 2 nests nearby. After they raised the babies they disappeared for a few weeks. But when they started south we had them on the feeders several times a day. We haven't seem any for a few days now but for awhile they hit it heavy. The feeders are made by First Nature and we got ours at Walmart for $3.88. They come completely apart for easy cleanup and have a wide mouth on the jar part so they wash easily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here