SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
james_m_clark

Cat vs. Squirrels (OT?)

james_m_clark
14 years ago

This story may not be about bird-watching, but most of us bird-watchers have seen cats and squirrels around our bird feeders at times. Also, I should give a warning: This story is not for the faint of heart.

Somebody told me a story about a cat that got into the habit of pestering some squirrels when they gathered under a bird feeder to eat the fallen seed. After a while the squirrels apparently decided that this was just too annoying, because one day they ambushed and ganged up on the cat and there was a big fight. The cat was never seen again after that. He figures that the cat was too humiliated to come back again.

I didn't tell him that I didn't agree with his conclusion of the story. I've seen cats fight and I've seen squirrels fight, and I don't think the story ended the way he guesses that it did. I figure that two pounds of cat for every pound of squirrel makes a fair fight.

Most cats have a thicker coat of fur than a squirrel's, so that's better defensively, but a squirrel has harder and stronger muscles -- that's why cats are wimpy tree-climbers compared to squirrels. And there's a difference in attitude: cats fight to win, but squirrels fight to the death. Squirrels don't fight often; the dominant ones usually just bully and chase the less dominant ones.

When cats fight, there's a lot of loud meowing. But if you ever hear squirrels fighting, that pitiful squealing of the loser will send chills down your spine. I figure that the squirrels killed the cat. Moreover, since squirrels are opportunistic meat-eaters, they probably ate the cat.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz