Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Keep Birds off Patio Furniture?

Posted by mary_228 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 9:53

Hello all,
I realize that members here like birds, but I imagine, like me, you don't want to have to clean your patio furniture every day before sitting on it.

I have morning doves that sit there all day and make quite a mess. Also a big robin-looking bird (speckled breast, please forgive my ignorance) that is quite bold. Almost makes me afraid to go out on the patio.

I don't have a bird feeder, although two neighbors behind me feed them. I'd appreciate any advice you have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Keep Birds off Patio Furniture?

Sounds like your neighbor might be using tray feeders so the Mourning Doves have been multiplying like crazy. The only bold Robin-sized bird I know with a speckled breast is a Brown Thrasher, but they are shy of people.

Note long tail, light wing bars, reddish coloring, yellow eyes

From 7-24-08, Birds and mammals on Poppy Mnt

From 8-1-17, 2008, Birds at Hanlon Farm

There are also Wood Thrushes, but those are woodland birds and very shy. Note round breast spots, white eye ring, short tail, brown color

From 4-27-09

Other than trying to persuade your neighbors to switch to thistle tube feeders (why I'm SO glad there are no "bird lovers" living in our area to throw out cheap food and attract trash birds) you might try those new motion detector fake Great Horned Owls I've seen advertised.

Here's the lowest price I can see

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Gardener-8021-Defense-Electronic/dp/B000FJRSOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1245161400&sr=8-1

o

You are right, we love our birds and bird doodoo is just a blessing. No bird doodo means an unhealthy planet, but this does not help your outdooor dining. I suggets plastic sheets while not in use. I have Iron furnature that is easily washed off with the hose and a squirt of antibactierial soap. I would much rather deal with the small cleaning chore than not have birds.

o

Rachel is correct. One of the neighbors has a tray feeder. She also feed squirrels with corn cobs, which also end up in my yard. The geese that perch on her roof are also a nuisance. Unfortunately, the big ugly bird is not one of the beautiful ones pictured. I might not mind so much if it was. But frankly, the morning doves are the big "producers". They don't even fly away when I open my blinds in the morning (and the chair is only ten feet away).

Maybe I'l try the cd or holographic tape ideas.

o

Nature balances itself but when people start artificially feeding, things can quickly get out of balance. Neighbors and native song birds suffer when aggressive species multiply given a plentiful food supply.

People who want to see native song birds can use tube thistle feeders, avoid tray feeders and leaving out scraps, cracked corn, dog food, and cheap bird seed. If your neighbors are flooding your yard with unwanted birds maybe you can persuade them to switch, maybe even buy them a thistle tube feeder as a gift.

Many novices believe they are "helping" the birds when they feed song bird predators or nuisance animals

o

Success!
I hung a sheet of aluminum foil from a decorative stake using a rubber band. It bobbed around and make lots of crinkly noise. They were scared for a few days. I found them sitting right under it and then stormed out of the house stomping my feet and waving my arms. They flew off and haven't been back! At least not on this part of the patio. I have since moved the foil around a bit and added one of those shiny spirally plastic garden ornaments. Just thought I'd share my "success" in case anyone else has this issue.

o

your speckled robin-like bird sounds like an immature American robin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here