Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What does this bird want???

Posted by aok27502 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 6:54

We have a male cardinal that is desperately trying to get into our house. I first noticed him last evening, he came to a side window and fluttered, perched on the screen, fluttered up against the window, perched on the bricks. He did this several times. A few minutes later he appeared at the window in the adjoining room, doing the same thing. Now this morning, he is back again at the big window. He's been there for several minutes, fluttering and perching. It's almost comical.

It can't be a reflection he's after. Last evening was raining and dreary, and this morning it is barely light yet. And the side window has a screen, so that should limit any reflection.

I don't think he's going to hurt himself, but boy, is he determined!! Any thoughts? He's driving the dog bonkers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What does this bird want???

He probably is still seeing enough reflection to believe he is seeing a rival. You could try pulling the curtains, putting an owl silhouette cutout on the window. Or maybe he is trying to tell you the feeder is out of BOSS!

I've recently had seen birds desperately scrabbling at our back windows late at night and wondered if they were trying to escape an owl, and if the lighted window represented safety with humans

o

He's still at it! He goes from one window to another, to the door, then disappears for a while, then starts again. It's like a cartoon character!

Do birds get rabies? I've always heard that rabid animals behave strangely, and this is definitely strange.

o

Regretfully, we don't have Cardinals YET in CO, although they say some newly damed up waterways are beginning to bring them in.

Once my House Finch came to me porch rail, looking in my window. There was a chorus of 'relatives' lined on my neighbor's roof, chirping like crazy. I thought "What the heck does she want?" At that time I had a nest in a grapefine decoration on my porch.

Lo and behold! A tiny baby (new hatchling) had slipped from the nest, and was caught belly-up in the grapevine! (hard like wicker).

Those birds were coming to get me! I carefully broke away the pieces of grapevine that were holding him tightly, slipped two fingers under its back, and he rolled into my hand. I placed him back into the nest, and they all lived happily ever after!

But, I've since learned to not let them be so close to the ground on a porch. Too many jumping places for squirrels, etc. I have one brass container (about 7" by 7"), attached nearly at the TOP of the porch wall so there is no "observation deck" for any preditors!

Maybe the Cardinal's family needs help! (I don't know if Cardinals communicate with people like HF do, but I'd check around!)

There is a legend (superstition) that birds fluttering at windows may mean an upcoming death in the family. SO, don't get on any TALL LADERS to check out a nest if it's in a tree!

BE SAFE!!!!!!

o

Elke, that's spoooooky. I am leaving tomorrow for a family funeral. Although we knew about it several days before the bird started his antics. Still .....

It seems like, if there was a nest, he'd stay in the same place. He's on the front of the house, the back, the side, all over. Remember the commercial for *something* that had a dog jumping up repeatedly and looking in the window? That's just what he looks like .. boing, boing. Like the Aflac duck!

o

A possible explanation of this behavior occurred to me. What if he saw his reflection in one of the windows at least once AND remembers this AND is smart enough to realize that all windows of the house provide access to the interior where he believes his competitor is hiding out? Is it possible that he could be that smart (while, of course, being dumb enough to misunderstand reflections)?

Suppose you put a life-size replica of a male cardinal (perhaps just a color photo) outside so the cardinal could attack and 'kill' it, and put an end to this matter?

I'm not sure whether this suggestion is serious or a joke -- I'm just letting my imagination run free.

o

Is he still doing it?
If I'm stumped about anything, I pretend to be able to "hear" the animal in my head, and imagine a conversation with it. Usually, the ensuing imaginary conversation reveals the problem so I can come up with a solution. This works on people, anything. According to quantum physics all energy is connected and interacting, so why not? It certainly works, from misbehaving horses to irritable mothers-in-law, so I don't worry about why.

This one Tennessee Walker I had kept acting up and giving me grief on trail rides until I "asked" him what was wrong. In my imagination the horse seemed surprised I was actually contacting him for his opinion so he said he was BORED and wanted to go on different trails. I asked him which ones he preferred and he said he loved a new trail we'd tried the previous weekend on the other side of the county. I shrugged, told DuBois, "why, not?" and that's what we did. The horse, to my surprise not only eagerly went down the trail. We always took different trails from then on, he never gave me further trouble.

o
RE: reading the minds of animals (OT)

Rachel, an interesting problem-solving method and interesting anecdote to illustrate it. I suppose it works to the degree that you can understand how the other mind works. I guess that's what I was trying to do -- imagine what the cardinal was thinking.

It reminds me of something that happened when as a teenager I was working in a greenhouse for a German man, who hired a friend or relative newly arrived from Germany. I had learned a few words of German from my mother, who was born in Germany, so when I needed to speak to this fellow, I spoke English with as many words of German as I knew mixed in; and he spoke to me in German with as many words of English as he knew mixed in.

But one day, the goats that my boss kept showed up at the greenhouse door, which had been left open, and started to enter. Imagining what havok could happened if they got in, I yelled repeatedly at them "Get out!", but they just gave me a blank stare. Then I thought, wait, this has probably happened before, and they weren't spoken to in English. So I yelled, "Ga vesh!" and they immediately turned and ran away.

Jim

o

No, birds can not get rabies. Only mammals can get rabies.

o

Well, I left for a few days for a funeral out of town, and during that time he disappeared. I guess we'll never know. But he was certainly amusing while he was around. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here