Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I attract Crows to my yard ?

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 21:39

Yes --- I know I'm in the minority - liking crows. A couple years ago - we had a flock of crows that came every day . Once they got comfy feeding here - we'd put out their food -- in obstacles for them to get at . They are so smart ... it was entertaining to watch them figure out how to feed. We got lax in feeding them , and they left. I'd love to attract them back now that our yard is established. Is there a way ? ( I heard to put out cat food ......but I don't need raccons ! ) Can you help me ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I attract Crows to my yard ?

I don't suppose you want to install a garbage skip in your backyard. [grin] Here in my corner of New Jersey, those are the places to look for crows!

Dave

o

Yes you sure are in the minority but hey if you like them put out anything and they will come and eat. When we were kids we would take them out of the nest and make pets out of them and they would stay with us all summer and then migrate in the fall.Lived quite far north.

o

around here they get hooked on human food and you see most of them around parking lots of fast food and grocery stores and around open dumpsters. I get an occasional one
checking out my backyard and sampling the bird food in the ground feeder

o

Plant some corn. They just love pulling up the new shoots.

o

I spread mixed seed on the ground for all of the ground feeders (Mourning Doves, native sparrows, grackles, squirrels....) Crows join them. I like crows too.

Claire

o

Another liker of crows here. We have a dozen or so feeders with several kinds of seed in the yard. Crows are welcome. During summer we just stock the thistle feeders with seed, but 'our' crows still get to eat well. All the moles, voles and mice that my husband can trap are offered to them on top of a mulch pile at the back of our lot. We call it the sacrifical mound. Nothing is left there long enough to draw flies!

o

Do you have birdbaths? I've seen crows drinking water from one birdbath in front of the house and someone has been washing shellfish in another birdbath closer to the beach. Water sources are always good.

Claire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here