Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What bird sounds like a frog?

Posted by glad2garden (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 20:32

Lately I've been hearing a bird that sounds like a frog. I heard them in the Wisteria, and now I can hear them across the road in the trees. Honestly, they sound so much like frogs. Maybe they're fast moving frogs? Or there's lots of them? I wish I knew what they are. They call and answer each other.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What bird sounds like a frog?

Most likely you are hearing tree frogs, but you may never see them because they blend in perfectly with the bark. Also, they tend to get quiet when you get near.

o

You must be right, because they are still carrying on and it's way after dark here. Loud little buggers.

o

LOL! Yes tree frogs are incredibly loud! I had about 5-6 singing to each other yesterday evening in the back yard and I could hardly hear my family talking to me while out on the deck! They are really hard to find too.
I have one that retires to a little ledge on the top of my shed every year.....same spot. He's so cute!
I love going to sleep with my windows open so I can hear them, but sometimes, I just have to close the window 'cause they are sooooooo loud!
They are pretty amazing little creatures. I think they are attracted to my backyard because I have several little water gardens. They deposit their eggs in the water.
They are so sensitive to the presence of water, that if I go out to just water a few plants, they start singing! I don't know if they see the water, or just hear or smell it!
Ain't nature grand? :)

o

Occasionally Northern Mockingbirds will mimic frogs mixed in with their repertoires and often late at night into the early morning hours. Males will sing back and forth at each other while their respective mates are sitting on nests - thereby establishing their territorial boundaries more firmly. Other birds that mimic frogs are European Starlings - haven't yet heard them calling at night, but it's not uncommon for them to. Heard one the other day mimicking a Western Meadowlark.

o

I live in the Phoenix area of Arizona. Last evening about 6:00 pm, we were walking around a small lake near our home, when a flock of about 20 or so birds flew in and landed in two trees near us. They honestly sounded like bullfrogs. They were about the size of a duck, but more slender bodies and long necks. Their wings upon folding had a definite bend to them similar to what you might see in prehistoric birds (if that makes sense). My husband thought they were frogs and kept looking at the lake, but we definitely saw and heard the birds in the trees. Any ideas? I am stumped.

o

Sha7260, they may be bitterns. In my woods they sound like frogs. Very gutteral sound. They are hard to spot but fit your description. Google it and see if that's it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here