SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

Why did these baby birds disappeaer?

We found a nest yesterday with three extremely young baby birds. Seven people looked at it, but never touched anything, and less than 24 hours later the next is COMPLETELY EMPTY. Would the parents actually build a new nest and move all the chicks, or was it a predator? The nest is in perfect shape, and when I discovered them missing early this morning I looked all around for signs of trauma. No little feather or anything. I'd love to have some ideas, and I sure hope they didn't get eaten.

Comments (97)

• Lixina
    11 years ago

Regarding impact of human disturbance on nest success, we must look at actual research studies, *not* policy statements. Policy statements only reflect the beliefs of the policy makers, which could potentially be outdated or actually wrong.

Here is a set of studies looking at impact of human disturbance on robins and similar birds:
    http://tinyurl.com/7bgp3yn
    http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Wilson/v111n03/p0415-p0420.pdf
    http://tinyurl.com/6wey3eg
    http://tinyurl.com/87nzm26

The last link is especially significant because it's a meta-analysis (it combines the results of many studies). They found no general effect of human interference on nest predation, but interestingly the impact varied by kind of bird. Charadriiformes (gulls and shorebirds) showed little or no effect, whereas Passeriformes (most small birds, including robins) actually *benefitted* from human interference. They suggested that this effect depends on what proportion of the nest predators are mammals, since wild mammals are often more timid around humans than birds are. As a result, birds whose nests are often preyed on by mammals benefit from human presence, because this scares away their predators.

• Pieridae.60
    11 years ago

I agree with Lixina, most of the city birds not scared of human around them. Like the robin couple had their nest on my plum tree infront of my house. I walked by everyday say hello to them. I can recognize the male and the female. But unfortunately, when the baby was 14 days old on this May 23 morning it was disappeared. I checked around the tree and bushes couldn't see a sign of the baby. Terrible thing must happen last night. I saw Mrs. robin standing on the front lawn of my neighbour. I asked her where is the baby but she flew to the top of the garage light and push her head to the wall. I felt very sorry for her.
    I have a question if anyone can help me. There is still one egg in the nest but the parents seem not attending the nest anymore. This morning I went up with a ladder and found the egg is tidyly surrounded with grass and the center is covered with a leaf. Is this the way that the birds burried its egg? Can I take the nest down? Because I want to burry the egg and the nest. For the last 30 days I watch them everyday, I do love them.

• Related Discussions

Baby birds...

Q

Comments (18)
    Many years ago while driving home one Saturday from a junkyard I saw a baby bird standing in the middle of a country road. I stopped and picked it up, it's eyes were still closed and looked to have been pushed out of the nest high in the tree by a grackle. I spent a number of days tending to the bird, a bluejay, until it was ready to be released. When a flock of bluejays came around I released the bird and it flew up into the flock. Lots of raucous noise while they introduced themselves to each other and then they flew off, the young bird included. About a week later as I was tending the feeding stations a flock of jays showed up, one bird seemed to be acting strangely so I held up my hand like I often did and called the name I gave it 'sassy' and that jay flew down and landed on my finger like it did many times while I was feeding it. The rest of the flock was very vocal about it's landing on my hand, we spent a minute or two conversing (in bird talk) then Sassy flew back up to the flock and they left. The bird never identified it's self ever again to me when the flock of jays came to visit the feeders, just that once to tell me thanks and it was doing OK with it's new family. Lou.
    ...See More

My kitten killed a baby bird!

Q

Comments (18)
    Thanks to everyone who tried to console me instead of chastising me, but I can take up for myself. #1, I'm NOT sorry that I said I hit the cat. It's not like I beat him black and blue. I just applied my hand to his backside, not even very hard. I can't even imagine a cat with an identity crisis! The only identity crisis my cats have is that they think they're human. I also spanked my kids. They don't hate me, and neither one of them has an identity crisis. #2, I'm NOT going to find another home for my cat. I've had cats all my life, some killed things, some didn't. I didn't send them anywhere else to live. #3, The cat did not bring me a whole baby bird as a prize, he ATE IT! Yes, that's what cats do, but finding bits and pieces of a baby bird on your dining room floor is DISTRESSING! I love birds, so it made me angry. What if your dog brought a kitten in and tore it apart on your DR floor, leaving bits of fur and bones lying about? Would you be upset, or would you just say "Oh, he's just doing what dogs do." Does it make it any better because it's "just a bird?" Birds have separate personalities, and are very individual. Even chickens, ducks and geese. I once had a neighbor's dog break into my chicken pen and kill all my baby chicks. He didn't eat them, he just killed them. I threw a brick at him. I didn't hit him, but I wish I had. And I would not have felt at all bad if I had. I had a friend whose dog tore his cat to pieces right in the LR. He took it out back and shot it, because he said it now had a taste for blood. #4 Quoting the Wikipedia to me, (which in my opinion is about as reliable as the weather in Florida) to prove a point is just...I don't even know what it is, but it ticks me off. I'm not going to defend my actions. I'm sure some of you, even those who jumped on me, have done worse things in your life than pop your kitten on its bottom, so I'll quote the bible "Let he among you who is without sin cast the first stone." I feel much better now.
    ...See More

Did someone say birds!?

Q

Comments (18)
    I’m no good at identifying hawks either, Digit! Don’t have any idea what the one I saw last week was! About the only one I’m ever really certain of is a Red Tail—in flite, when I see the glint of red in the sun! But here are a couple pages that “might” help—some! This is about the best “hawk ID” page I’ve found! http://www.birds-of-north-america.net/hawks.html And this is the “main page” with links to other birds of prey too! http://www.birds-of-north-america.net/Birds_of_Prey.html I can’t use this on my Dumb Phone, but possibly it could help you—and others! Just got it in an email today! http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/merlinphotoid/?utm_source=Cornell+Lab+eNews&utm_campaign=ac5ca3fdac-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_12_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_47588b5758-ac5ca3fdac-302450646 And this is another “bird email” I got today with three “bird cam shorts!” I noticed it because Zach brought up ravens above, and the first short video has a VERY “vocal” young raven in it! Enjoy! http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=b35ddb671faf4a16c0ce32406&id=de8a57e0bb&e=cb6f4a5944 My feeders—and birdbath—have been mobbed for the last couple days! Wonder why!!! Just a little bit chilly out there! Haven’t seen a flicker back at the suet again, but I do believe the house sparrows have decided to look for Friendlier Yards, so I think I’m probably safe in putting the second suet cage back out near the little branches—where the house finches and juncos can reach it! Looks like more “weather” coming in in the next week—or two! Feed the birds! Skybird
    ...See More

How on earth did I get a baby owl on top of my TV?

Q

Comments (53)
    Oh I'm so glad he's in safe hands now (now that yours aren't but....) and that he'll be looked after. I came upstairs one day to find the cats pacing in the kitchen, back and forth and back and forth, and found two blue jays in there. One was on top of the toaster and the other in behind the blinds. I have no idea how they got in the house but I did take pictures knowing that no one would believe me otherwise. I thought that I would help the one behind the blinds by raising them so he could get out. But when I raised the blinds I got his tail feathers caught and then he was hanging upside down. I eventually got him out and then opened the sliding glass doors. They must have sensed the airflow as they both went flying out.
    ...See More
  • claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    11 years ago

It may be a cowbird egg, not a robin egg. Cowbirds lay eggs in other birds' nests and count on the other birds to raise them. Some birds recognize the strange egg and cover it and either abandon the nest or build another nest over it.

Claire

• natureluvver
    7 years ago

This is quite an old thread but I have to say - "creeper" is an appropriate name for creeper. The condescending, insulting manner with which you speak is the exact opposite way to speak about something if you really want someone to listen. you come across as a big jerk.

• dmcedorn
    7 years ago

Every year I end up with a nest in my wreath on my front door. Usually house finches. Sometimes they live long enough to fly, sometimes I end up with a cowbird egg in there and then the finches end up dying and the cowbird usually lives. As per usual, I have a nest again. 5 eggs, 5 freshly hatched little birdies. I took a photo of the new babies this morning, and this afternoon the nest is empty. I just can't figure out what happened to them on my door...it just makes me sad. Would another bird take them?

• sbullerdick
    7 years ago

I'm heartbroken my babie Red finch also disappeared over night. 6 of them all gone

• Mimi Y
    7 years ago

This happened to me today! We live in an apartment and the nest is in our balcony box. There are no predators (we live in Italy) that I know of, maybe other birds? They disappeared in an afternoon with no signs of struggle. This is the second brood of blackbirds we've had this season. The first family grew up and flew away the second only lasted a day. So sad, I'm sorry for your loss! The first pic is of the ones we lost, the second is of the happy ones that survived

• ctlady_gw
    7 years ago

We have phoebes nesting over our front door (very protected site in terms of predators like snakes or raccoons -- would be impossible) and four eggs hatched over the last several days. The first two newborn chicks disappeared mid-morning and she sat on the remaining two eggs another day. They hatched yesterday and today, and this afternoon, they, too, are gone. Just vanished into thin air. No blood or sign of damage to the nest, no one on the ground beneath it. I can hear the phoebes out there now, calling to each other. I'm heartbroken -- what bird or animal could get to a nest tucked under the porch overhang, sitting on top of the door frame, to neatly and without mess or trace, remove these newborn chicks?? I'm stumped. These chick thefts have happened in broad daylight.

• hilaryslater
    7 years ago

We set up a motion detector camera in our porch roof when we saw our robins had returned this spring., We got great photos and didn't disturb the nest at all!.. There was no light or noise to the birds, so it was totally unintrusive!..

Now the birds have fledged their first 3 and are starting the new nest for the next batch.. Suddenly last night a motion detected at 3am.. and the camera was too dark to see what it was.. something raided the nest last night.. I've tried lightening the video to check the creature.. it might be a bat? it looks wet, with a long claw.. It was there for over 30 seconds since our video is a 10 second timing and there were 3 videos..

It looks like a creature out of jurassic park with the bad lighting!.. Wish I could see what the nocturnal creature was that raided !.. Fortunately there were no eggs or babies yet :))

• hilaryslater
    7 years ago

Our robins that I photographed with a motion detector camera in our porch.. Two days before fledging

• Mac Attack
    6 years ago

We have several bird houses perched on the Pergola and hanging in our trees. The past two springs, we have been finding dead House Finch baby birds in the yard. There is no trauma signs and they don't even have any feathers yet. Any ideas why this is happening?

• Catlett Dog Inn
    6 years ago

I had a nest of wrens in one of the plants on my porch. My little dog just found and ate them and destroyed the nest - they were just about to fledge, and this is the 2nd year at least the wren has nested in that plant spot. I feel horrible, but I want to do the best I can for the mother - she wasn't in the nest. Should I try to put the nest back together and leave it on the plant, or should I remove all the nest material so she finds nothing?

• reneeroszel
    6 years ago

Today, when my fledglings had not seemingly flown (thought I'd missed the big event since at noon the were still in the nest) I opened the birdhouse to find 2 dead babies. The same thing happened to the last nesting. They were active and bobbing their heads out, then suddenly dead. I must assume a disease or something because there didn't seem to be a sign of predators. We have two baffles on the pole. But it is heartbreaking, and I am not sure I want to keep the birdhouse ready if the pair of parents decide to try again. They have lost two nestings. Not sure about the first one, since it was very rainy and cleaning it out were two 'lumps' of unformed babies, but since there had been at least one they were feeding, it apparently was a successful flight. I did ask one neighbor about pesticides, but not herbicides. If we spray weeds in the spring, would it still be able to kill babies in June July and Aug? I don't want to put the parents through another brood only to have them die. We had successful ones last year. It is a birdhouse made for bluebirds, but some form of plastic construction. Not wood. And the nests have been very 'muddy' like. I'm a total novice, and just wanted to help increase the bluebird population with a birdhouse. But to watch the parents work so hard and to see the babies pop their little heads out, only to have tragedy strike, might be to. much for me to be able to go on with this. The birdhouse is cleaned out and open to dry. I almost fear closing it since within an hour last time, the parents were back to building a nest. I don't know what to do.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    Original Author
    6 years ago

it is quite confusing when there is no sign of a predator. We had three eggs in a nest, didn't get a good glimpse at the parents, but based on internet searching of the nest design and egg color/size matches it was the same as or similar to a red-eye vireo. The nest was on a low-hanging branch less than a foot above my head over a narrow driveway where four employees' cars drive every day. Not sure why they chose that branch. Really a beautiful nest! All three eggs were gone, no sign of being broken or anything. No egg shells, no yolk mess, no nothing. Not sure what happened. Very sad!

• PRO
    RANDI FEILICH
    6 years ago

I have a beautiful mourning dove nest next to my dining room window. The mama bird has been sitting on this nest except will fly away ( and immediately return) when the gardener mows the lawn. The nest had 2 newborns. Yesterday afternoon, a cooper hawk came by and chased the mama bird away in an attempt to eat the newborns. I banged on the window and scared it away and the mama came back to sit atop her babies. I left for 5 minutes and noticed the mama bird was gone. I took a look into the nest and the babies were gone. The hawk had returned. The mama bird came back looking for her babies and crying. Heartache!

deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b thanked RANDI FEILICH
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry for you and her! Nature is truly tough. So very hard to see if play out. She truly is a mourning dove now.

• Elizabeth Haver
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

So sad. We had a nest with 4 baby cardinals. I was so excited to watch them grow I saw them 2 days ago. Eyes were still closed and now they are gone it is so sad. I had no idea that the squirrels would eat them. I bet that is what happened. We have a robins nest with eggs about 6 feet away in a rhododendron tree. The mom built the nest way out on the end of the branches in plain view, we have had many robin nests in that tree over the years and most of the time the babies make it to the fledgling stage and leave the nest. I am worried about the location that this one chose though. I think it is probably the same family that comes back each year. I love it because we can see them through the window without disturbing them :) Nature's precious gift to us <3 Praying the baby Robins will be safe and sound.

deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b thanked Elizabeth Haver
  • 2dogs2horses
    5 years ago

For people saying not to approach the nest, what are you supposed to do when the birds make nests in hanging plants? I mean, if the plant isn't watered, it will die, and then any protection provided by the plant is gone.... I had a pair of house finches successfully raise two sets of babies in one plant. Then a pair made a nest in a different plant. Five eggs hatched. One day there were just four babies. A couple days later there were only two, and one had an injury on the back of its head. :( The next day that one was deceased but the one remaining one was alive (with its eyes open). The next day, that one was gone and just the body of the other one was there. :( The nest never looked disturbed at all. I don't know why I had two sets of babies survive and fly away from the nest in one plant, but the I had no survivors from the other plant. The only thing I can think of is that the unsuccessful nest was in a plant hanging on the front corner of my house which has a crepe myrtle over it. The successful nest is at the front of the house next to the steps to the front door. Maybe something was the using the crepe myrtle to get to the unsuccessful nest....? (I pulled the "nest of death" as I called it out of the plant and buried it with the body of the dead baby in it. I hope the parents don't try to build a new nest there.)

deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b thanked 2dogs2horses
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Remember, those people who said not to approach the nest didn't have evidence on their side. Creeper's unhelpful and...so many adjectives I could use here but I won't...comments should be disregarded. All she could state were "ethics" statements from organizations, while the experience of others on the forum as well as scientific studies in peer-reviewed journals showed no correlation between human involvement and chick survival. If her posts had not been full of scorn and judgement it is possible she could have taught us something, but it is clear her goal was not to be helpful, but antagonistic. If a bird builds a nest in a hanging plant, your options are limited. One person did say in a different post that it is Mother Nature's way of weeding out the gene pool of birds who don't understand enough to make a nest in a safer spot. That explanation makes sense, even though it does make things hard.

• 2dogs2horses
    5 years ago

Thanks, deannatoby. I just wish I knew why the first two nests in one hanging plant were fine (4 out of 4 eggs hatched and babies flew away from the first brood, and second brood, 4 out of 5 eggs hatched, and they all lived and flew away). But this nest a mere 15-20 feet away didn't have any survivors. :(

Original Author
    5 years ago

Who knows. I'm absolutely NO expert, and not even a novice, but I imagine there are so many factors. I would imagine even a neighbor getting a new dog would affect bird behavior at a house. More predators? Die off of other food sources? I know in 2004 there was big die off in New England of skunks due to distemper, so all predators that ate skunks had to find other food. Nature is hard to predict. I hope you get blessed by another nest and babies that fledge!

• 2dogs2horses
    5 years ago

Nearly 4 weeks ago I got a couple feral cats to be barn cats, and I released them from confinement last Tuesday. I would be heartbroken if they did it, but if they did, I would think the plant or nest would have been disturbed. (The one that had the head injury looked like it had been pecked, so I am thinking blue jays or crows. Or (hopefully not) their own parents. :( Well that nest and the one who died in the nest are buried under some flowers, and I hope if there are any more, they all survive. Sweet little baby birds.

• Amber Harmon
    5 years ago

This forum is old, but since there are some recent comments I thought I would contribute. Our bird situation is a unique one! My husband and I bought an abandoned house on 36 acres, and found a bird nest in the microwave (the door of the microwave is gone) anyways, I figured mama bird would notice all of the action inside the house and abandon the nest. I still didn’t want to disturb the nest though and then one day we found 5 baby birds in the nest! We did not touch the nest but did take pics. One day we went to check on them and the nest was completely empty. No sign or trace of the babies. I don’t really suspect a predator inside our house (but who knows). We are at the house about everyday in our spare time working on what we can...I think that there is someway these mamas move their babies...I researched it and could not find anything conclusive, but that’s the most logical conclusion I can determine. Especially after reading some other comments on here of baby birds vanishing without a trace.

• Elizabeth Haver
    5 years ago

That is a very interesting theory and I hope that is what happened. They are just so vulnerable and I have been reading a lot, mice, rats, sqirrels snakes and other birds all prey on these sweet defenseless babies.

Original Author
    5 years ago

That's wonderfully encouraging! Thank you!

Original Author
    5 years ago

Here's an article from Scientific American that helps clarify these issues we've been talking about, including the if and when human disturbance can do harm, as well as birds relocating.

• Amber Harmon
    5 years ago

Thank you Deannatoby! I found this paragraph in that article and I do believe that this mama bird moved her babies after we were disturbing her and the babies so much! (Though we never touched the nest or babies)

“In other words, birds, like economists, make cost-benefit decisions. If a bird has invested a lot of time and energy in hatching and rearing its young, that bird is more likely to, if possible, relocate its offspring to a new nesting site, rather than abandon them altogether when a potential predator has discovered the babies.”

• Cindy Chapman
    5 years ago

I love this thread is active again. I need help! Birds built a nest on my 2nd story deck. The nest is on top of a 6x6 corner post just under the edge of the deck roof. This is not a big area.

6 days ago, the nest and 3 babies fell/were blown from their place. They were def. no more than 2 days old. The nest and one of the babies landed on the deck (a 10 foot drop), one landed on the deck railing (6 foot drop) and a third fell all the way to the grass. Thankfully, they were all 3 still moving and looked OK so I gently scooped them up and put them back in the nest and put the nest back up on the post. The parents were back within the hour and I was quite thrilled.

The next morning I was sad to find one of the babies down in the grass again and not alive. Fast forward to this morning (Saturday) we woke up to 60mph winds that knocked the nest down again. I found one of the babies on my deck (he has been maturing well). And found the nest 50 feet away with the other sibling who sadly, was dead. We put the live baby and nest back up in the original spot again. Within 20 minutes, the parents were back at the nest. I was elated!

Update: Sunday - a parent has been feeding the baby all day.

Note: No wind blowing for now - but I am sure it will get windy in a day or two.

So my question is:

How can we make sure the nest doesn't blow down again? I can't take any more bird tragedy.

• Leslie Connor
    4 years ago

Glad I found this thread too. I I also have the issue with disappearing Cardinal babies. We had three beautiful babies hatch and were only three days old when “poof” gone one morning with no disturbance of nest, no fuzz or feathers left behind and totally undisturbed pyracanthas still up against the garage door wall. Im Praying the momma moved them also as there is a lot of traffic near our front porch..So much that our Ring battery has to be recharged every two to three weeks. I’ve googled trying to find any information on Cardinal babies disappearing but can’t find anything.

• Yuliya K
    4 years ago

I found this thread this morning, and although some comments are old, I see some new ones and thought I would share and ask opinions.

A pair of House Finches built a nest next to our front patio in the bushes. We use patio all the time, always sit there, so apparently this did not bother little mom and dad. I didn't even know we had a nest until we started trimming those bushes down and we heard her chirping. So we left that alone. Saturday (2 days ago) we had a horrible storm, with very strong winds that were bending those bushes and all our new trees to the ground. I decided to check on the nest right after the storm and found the nest blown off, mama bird sitting on the branch and 2 baby birds blown out of the nest, but alive. One fell on his back onto the ground (about a 5 feet drop) and another one got stuck in the branches, belly up as well. I am no expert but I read once that you can try to make a nest out of a box and put it back for mama bird to take care of her young. So, I got a Styrofoam faucet cover, put some old towel on the bottom and put the original nest on top of it. I was wearing gloves (although I have read so many times that human scent won't scare mama bird, I didn't want to hurt the babies even more), gently picked the babies up. They were still too young, with eyes closed, not even making sounds, just opening little beaks up. Now, mind this - it was raining for over an hour, just a downpour, spring in Texas can bring very violent storms! Anyways, I put the make-belief nest back into the bush, making sure it is wedged very well in there. I watched it from inside of the house and mama bird was back to take care of them right away! I was thrilled! I did check on the babies later on (feeling this weird responsibility for them). I made a quick video on my phone once mama bird left (the nest is high up enough in the bush that I could not see in) and saw they are both dry and breathing. I kept checking from the window (very discrete) and mama bird kept coming back, feeding them. I checked with the phone again in the morning, babies were good. I saw from inside the house mama bird coming back several times. Sunday night I wanted to give final check and leave baby birds alone. And what I saw made me (a grown woman) cry and lose sleep. One baby was missing completely, the other one laying there without a head. I know, I got too involved in this course of nature. Reading these posts, I am not sure still what happened. Mama bird kept jumping on the branches even on Monday morning, but the baby is gone. My husband said, I should not have interfered, that is Mother Nature. I could not have left them hanging there to die, when I saw them fallen out. But can't stop blaming myself - did I cause the nest to be raided?
    No way for me to know, we do not have owls here, nor have I seen hawks. In fact, I was in the backyard resting when this happened, and I did not see any unusual birds out. I have a ring doorbell and can not see any animals on it. Squirrel or bird?
    I am sorry for this rant, but if anyone knows what could just snatch the babies like that up and bite one head off clean, I would appreciate the knowledge share. And do mam birds really move the babies? If so, why wouldn't she move them when they fell out, but only sat there looking at them?

So sad!

deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b thanked Yuliya K
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I wouldn't think you did anything wrong. I have talked to very experienced birders who have tried next rehabilitation themselves with success. What you did was help. What happened afterwards was mother nature, and I don't think related to your actions. Generally we are truly insulated from all of this activity and have no idea how often birds die in the nest. We had chickens a few years ago and came home to find a hen dragged into the woods with only one single "hole" in her throat. It was completely weird and confusing. What predator would take a chicken, kill it, but them leave practically the entire carcass? Things are not always straightforward. I would imagine you have predators with some climbing skills that could have gotten to the nest.

One of my posts above is now "hidden" unless you click on a link to expand the threads. Here is the original post:

"Here's another from an intro to a research article (see below)

"Predation has exerted a strong influence on the evolution of habitat selection and life his- tory traits for many avian species (Martin 1993b). Research on a broad array of ecolog- ical topics requires estimates of avian fecun- dity. Because nest predation is the major cause of nest failure in passerines (Ricklefs 1969; Martin 1992, 1993a, b), researchers have fre- quently expressed concerns that monitoring might artificially increase predation rates (Mayfield 1975, Major 1990, Gotmark 1992).
    Predators might be attracted to nests by vi- sual cues, such as the presence of researchers, trampling of vegetation, increased activity of parent birds, and by olfactory cues. Mamma- lian predators are thought to follow tracks in the vegetation and to respond to human scent along the trails or at the nests (Creighton 1971, Wilson 1976, No1 and Brooks 1982, Gotmark 1992, Whelan et al. 1994). In a re- view paper on investigator bias, Gotmark (1992) concluded there was little or no evi- dence that researcher disturbance increased mammalian predation rates. "

I really am trying to do this right. Any accurate info you have would help.

Here is a link that might be useful: article"

Note that the article in the link was a peer reviewed journal in a scientific publication (if the link still works), whereas all the "leave it alone" people could post were codes of conduct type websites, etc.

I hope you continue to help in the future! WE don't want to disturb natural nests, but I think the mother was glad you helped the babies.

• Yuliya K
    4 years ago

Thank you for your kind words, deanna Maine 5b6a! I am that person, I will continue to help. I did learn a lesson to not get to invested in this, as if they were my kids. You are so right, we really do not see how tough life is for wild animals. I grew up in a city and was never an observant person. So now that I am in my 40-s I am learning all these things as I moved to a suburb/country area. I would never touch them unless I absolutely had to.

Last year mockingbirds had babies near our back porch, now I understand why they are so aggressive! So much danger out there! Just because I don't have cats/dogs, doesn't mean they are safe. One of the babies got caught in plastic mesh we put around the tomatoes, and mama bird went crazy, she was flying up to us, screaming chirping! Did that for about 15 minutes until I realized her baby is in trouble. I went to that part of our garden, and freed the baby bird. He was fine, mad at me for putting that mesh up though :)

This thread has been so helpful. So many people have many good advise and I now know I am not the only one that gets invested in these little creatures.

I agree Creeper was a bit aggressive, but they (he/she) probably just didn't want people to treat wild animals as if they are in a petting Zoo. Good intentions but going about it the wrong way.

Thank you again for starting this thread and educating people! I love nature, but Nature knows best.

• Eva Robinson
    4 years ago

A bird made a nest on my windowsill. The eggs hatched 3 days ago. Now they are all gone. I'm feeling sad. Also wondering if something bad happened to them. Do birds relocate their babies to another nest?

deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b thanked Eva Robinson
  • mike
    4 years ago

I had 2 baby robins hatch last Tuesday. On Monday the parents moved the baby’s about 20 yards to another tree in my backyard. I thought my cat r another predator had gotten them becomes they where gone from the original nest. I was SO UPSET. My small dog went under the tree a lot and so did my cat. I was also putting food on the fence for the parents. There’s was a lot of things disturbing the area. I thought for sure something got them but the parents kept forging for food in my back yard and sure enough I heard the baby’s crying for food the next day. Today when the cat went out and got under the tree they moved them too they started dive combing him. I finally spotted them in a old nest in the other tree. It’s a lot higher than the other one was ( about 7 feet off the ground). Anyway all the post I read said they would never move them and if they where gone a predator must have got them. NOT TRUE. THEY GOT MOVED TO ANOTHER TREE CLOSE BY. I hope they make it from there.

deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b thanked mike
  • mike
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

• mike
    4 years ago

Pics of the babies when I first discovered them. Now they’ve been moved to another nest about 20 yards away. CARDINALS WILL MOVE THERE BABIES. I’m praying they make it from there new nest.

• Yuliya K
    4 years ago

Thank you for sharing this comment, HU-719464966! I am glad to know that. Not sure how they would do it, but I guess nature is resilient, and a tiny bird can carry her baby to save it. That is awesome! I wonder if one of my baby birds got saved after the nest got raided and another got decapitated.

• mike
    4 years ago

I sure hope 1 of yours got saved. I was so happy ( and in shock ) that the babies got moved after reading all the comments that Cardinals don't/cant move there babies. I just wanted people to know that in fact Cardinal can and will move there babies. I leave broken PECANS under the bushes where they forge for food and they Love them, The babies must be enjoying them too, anyway they should be leaving the Nest early next week. Im praying that thy make. I will keep u posted on there success if u want me too ?

• Yuliya K
    4 years ago

That'd be great! I'd appreciate that very much! I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one that watches these little creatures and worries about them :)

Original Author
    4 years ago

What an encouraging story, mike! So glad to hear they are high and safe. It seems quite a bit of modern research is uncovering a new point: "dumb" creatures are smarter than we think they are! The photo is very sweet. Keep us updated!

Eva, I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier. Did you find your birds anywhere? Looks like you had a beautiful view for a while.

• mike
    4 years ago

Just a little update on the baby Robins. So far they seem to be doing great, a lot of chirping going on, theyve been in the same tree for a few days now ( its rite next to the one they got moved to ) seems like they should be learning to fly by now to me ? i guess theyll stay up there till the parents decide to let em test there wings. At least theyre safe and they have plenty to eat, plus i keep leaving pecans out for the parents, not sure if the parents are feeding them pecans yet. I know for sure my cat will be happy when they finally fly away so he can have his back yard back.

• Yuliya K
    4 years ago

Well they will be on a ground for a while after they hop out of the nest. So watch your cat :) thank you for an update!

• mike
    4 years ago

Theyve benn in the same tree ( a huge ligustrum ) for about 3 days now, im guessing there about 16- 17 days old, anyway do you know how long theyll stay in the same tree like that ? Both the parents are still protecting them, one of them is always in the tree with the babies.

• Tia Ransom
    3 years ago

After they leave the next, they follow their parents to a new nest. The parents teach them how to find food, but their father will still continue to feed them until they're almost his size. They still look pretty tiny and young when they leave their 1st nest. Ours have moved into the bushes on the edge of our yard. I see the parents, mostly the dad flying back and forth in the yard throughout the day.

• HU-631353820
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi, The strange thing happening as well. I newborn baby robins and the next day they were gone. Now I know they were too young to fly with there parents but they seem safe in the

deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b thanked HU-631353820
  • HU-838562001
    last year

Commenting just to let you know that the comment left by @HU-517676448 is absolute uneducated BS. birds cannot physically move their babies and showing the nest to people wouldnt have been an issue

deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b thanked HU-838562001
  • HU-838562001
    last year

@Tia Ransom they don’t leave nest this young. OP said less than 24hrs passed

deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b thanked HU-838562001
    Original Author
    last year

I know HU-**2001., and thank you Figured the poster was just Creeper with a new name (expand older posts to see Creeper's ridiculous comments). Older posts clearly prove HU-*6448 is uneducated, but some people never learn.

• starlinka
    last year

"the comment left by @HU-517676448 is absolute uneducated BS. birds cannot physically move their babies and showing the nest to people wouldnt have been an issue"

agree +100

deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b thanked starlinka