Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to make a seed cake?

Posted by champagne (My Page) on
Thu, May 6, 10 at 14:22

Does anyone know what holds together those Deluxe Seed Fare Cylinders that Wild Birds Unlimited sells? I would like to make them myself but have no idea what would "glue" the seeds into a solid form that would be also be good for the birds as well as hold up in weather.

WBU is too far to drive to, and shipping for one cylinder costs as much as the seed itself. ($9 for one cylinder, almost $9 to ship it!)

Thanks for any help on this. See link to see what it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: seed cylinder

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to make a seed cake?

i make my own suet in winter and put it in the plastic boxes that raspberrys or blackberrys come in at the grocery store. cut off the lids and put the tray in the green suet cages and hang them. but in spring i quit making suet
I put a couple tablespoons of sorghum molasses in a glass bowl and start mixing in sunflower seeds and chopped nuts and raisens and some mixed bird seed in till it makes a moldable thick paste and put the mix in the plastic boxes
into the suet cages and then hang them. It works well for me and the birds seem to love it. but i do see the birds rubbing their beaks on the branch to rub off the sticky.

o

I used to work at a WBU. The seed cylinders made by Mr.Bird are held together with gelatin. That's why they fall apart in the rain or in hugh humidity. I found a website that tells how to make them but I can't for the life of me remember where it was. I think it was one of those DIY sites but....
If I stumble across the site again I'll post it here.

o
Try this

As soon as I posted I remembered one place I had noticed a recipe. This recipe calls for a BOSS/safflower blend but I'm sure you could use almost any seed you'd like. Perhaps you can mold it in a loaf pan?

"This recipe uses gelatin instead of fat to hold together seeds. These
cakes work great in warm weather too because they do not melt or turn
rancid. Combine one ounce of unflavored gelatin and cup of water in
a sauce pan over low heat. Stir until the gelatin is completely
dissolved. Then add 1 cups of any combination of seeds the birds in
your yard enjoy. Try half and half black oil sunflower and safflower
seeds. Mix well, until all seeds are coated with gelatin. Pack the
mixture firmly into a plastic container and chill until solid. Use
molds in the shapes of stars, wreaths, trees, or other holiday shapes
to make festive ornaments or tree toppers. Once the cake is removed
from the mold, it's ready for the birds."

o

Wow! Thank you very much! I really appreciate both these suggestions. I'll try it!

o

Did anyone follow the above recipe? I'm wondering if will work using only safflower seeds? I want to try and make one of the larger cylinders that WBU sells for $20.00

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here