Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orioles Returned Today

Posted by gardener365 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 19:17

Mercer Co. IL

Saw them all day. Was so happy.

After watching the first one land on the jelly feeder I watched one in the woods jump from branch to branch and, relax. Soon it was pure mayhem and they were even on my birdfeeder and one stopped for suet at least twice that I saw.

Dax

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orioles Returned Today

How wonderful, Dax! They still haven't arrived here, but I have an oriole feeder up with suet for now and I'll change to jelly when they come.

Claire

o

Claire,

I just can't believe how things happen! You may recall a few years ago I put up 2 jelly feeders and within a 2 minutes I had 4 orioles at it... I didn't even know they were around my parts!!!

Today, an oriole swooped down to the jelly feeder and all at once I saw a red-headed woodpecker fly across the landscape and a hummingbird. "Three" firsts of the year. Incredible really!

Dax

o

Good news. That big low pressure should move a number of birds north this week.

tj

o

I saw the first Baltimore Orioles of the season today here in Plymouth, MA! and it's before the hummingbirds show up - usually the orioles come a little after the hummers.

The grackles had gobbled up most of the suet outside and the orioles were picking at the scraps. I raced out and put new suet in all of the cages and added some apricot preserves in a dish. This one came back but didn't seem too impressed with the new suet.
First Baltimore Oriole1 5:2:14

He did seem to be looking down at the preserves in the dish in the middle of the feeder.
First Baltimore Oriole3 5:2:14

When they start showing interest in the fruit I'll phase out the suet in those cages to discourage the grackles. I have another suet feeder up in another area.

I also have a jelly feeder like Dax's and I may put that out too, but I have to rearrange the feeders on the hooks first.

Claire

o

I'm "jelly" (jealous)........
haha

Question about the jelly.....I have tried to find a large jar of grape jelly that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup in it. I ended up buying a smaller jar of "all fruit"-type jelly without it.
anyone know who might sell a big jar of the stuff without corn syrup? Thanks.

P.S....Great pics everyone! Those guys are gorgeous!

o

Yes, those are beautiful pictures, Claire.

Welch's is the only one I know of where grapes are the 1st ingredient. I meant to look at Sam's Club on Friday and didn't, darnit.

Another first & just now 7:45 this morning: Rose-breasted Grosbeak. Dax

o

Saw brown thrasher a few days ago.

Dax

o

No grosbeaks here, I've only ever seen one, but the first Brown Thrasher appeared on April 20. I haven't seen it since, but they're usually around all season, just in the background.
First Brown Thrasher2 4:20:14

Claire

o

I love it when the brown thrashers come back. To me, their song is so happy! I have to smile every time I hear them........which can be constantly, sometimes. :)

o

We had the best birding weekend so far. Lots of grosbeaks, hummers, and male and female orioles. Don't know why but we can't get the orioles to come to feeders. We had success one year w/jelly filled orange halves, but they refuse to come to the regular oriole feeders or the jelly feeders. I keep trying though. One bird we didn't see this year was woodcock. Every year, they raise a brood in our swampy creek bottom. We have resident red foxes now, so I wonder if that's the difference. Still, we have always been rich w/all other predators: coons, coyotes, mink, and even bobcats. It hasn't affected the wild turkeys though as we have a good nest w/eight eggs in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here