Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sterilizing bird nest from outdoors

Posted by margis (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 14, 09 at 14:13

Just the other day I had to remove a bird nest that had been built under our deck. A person is coming to powerwash and paint the deck within the week so I didn't want the birds to lay there. They were planning to, but fortunately they hadn't layed any yet. I scouted for a safe spot to move the nest to but there was none, so I decided to keep it. I have seen real bird nests used as decorations indoors, and I wanted to know how to sterilize the nest without destroying it. It is made of dirt, moss, thick grass, and thin fine grass, and is very nice looking. I have found nothing on the web about this, can anyone help me? I also want to make sure to go ahead and take care of it in case this is a time-sensitive thing. Any info would be wonderful! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sterilizing bird nest from outdoors

I don't think its legal to keep a birds nest. You need a permit to collect and display them, no different then using the feathers or even a taxidermy mount of a songbird. I am pretty sure its covered in the Migratory Bird act.

o

It is against Federal, State, and local laws to keep any bird alive or dead, their eggs, feathers, or nests of any bird protected under the Migratory Bird Act.

Renee
Rural SW Indiana

Here is a link that might be useful: Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918

o

BTW the Migratory Bird act and other laws that protect songbirds do not apply to English House Sparrows and European Starlings. This is why people are allowed to remove House Sparrow and Starling nests from Blue Bird Houses and Martin houses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here