SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

Timeline / Protecting Chickadee Nest

I checked my bluebird box the weekend of Ap 12/13 - first time for the year - and saw a nest being built in there that I didn't recognize. Looked it up and discovered it's a chickadee nest. We always have a lot of chickadees at our feeders.

Then @ the 16th or 17th I went to check it again, and when I lifted the side a little chickadee mommy flew out the front hole (even tho I had tapped on the box first and tried to make my presence known). The nest looked nicely built, no eggs.

I read these birds don't like to be disturbed --- but I was just so curious to see if there were eggs in the nest, I was compelled to check again on Monday April 21st.

I gave a number of gentle taps on the box, scraped my throat and made "noise" before slowly and carefully lifted the side. I figured if mommy was in there, she'd fly away and I could peak. GUESS WHAT? The mommy was sitting in there! Down in her nest with just her little head sticking up for me to see.

I quickly closed the side and left.

What was she doing in there? I mean - what should I presume about the timeline? Was she laying eggs? Was she incubating eggs? (I don't even know if I know the difference).

I've been reading about putting up a hole reducer and all that.... but timing seems to be important.

WHAT should I do WHEN?

When I had bluebirds in there last year I didn't put up any guards or baffles or anything, and the babies made it all the way to leaving the nest. I kept count of the days and watched over the box/nest pretty carefully and I was able to guess when they were likely to leave - and I even captured it on video! Hooray!

Again - what do you suggest I do when? What is the timeline for these little ones going to be?

I started putting worms out for her in the little cup attached to that pole. Although the chickadees seem to be very happy eating my sunflower seeds.

MissMary

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations