Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cedar waxwing migration

Posted by rober49 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 13:44

I'm just out of st Louis & cedar waxwing sightings have been few & far between. looked out the window this morning & I could tell by it's sihlouette that this was not one of my regular birds. put the binoculars on it & it was a cedar waxwing. within 5 minutes there were at least a dozen. they've hung around all morning. I hope a pair moves into one our birdhouses

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cedar waxwing migration

Such lovely birds.....lucky you!!!!

o

went out in the afternoon & I counted 27 of them in a hackberry at the back of my lot & a few more drifting from tree to tree. heard a hawk call so I looked straight up & spotted a flock of pelicans riding the thermals. an hour later spotted a kestrel on a power line. twas a good day to look up!

o

Good for you!
It's the time of the year again and the cycle of live starts all over,..flocks will break apart when breeding and nesting, they don't nest in a bird house,...in trees.

photo IMG_1041_1_3_1.jpg

June 26, 09 photo IMG_7603_1_1.jpg

July 25, 09 photo IMG_0721_1_1.jpg

July 31, 09 photo IMG_2366_1_1.jpg

o

great photos. I figured out the bird house thing when I drew a blank searching for cedar wax wing houses. I do have plenty of trees though......

o

Those are beautiful photos, konrad. We see waxwings here in northern wisconsin but I have never seen a nest. Thank you for sharing.

o

Thank you all!
Yesterday, a flock of similar species, Bohemian Waxwing in our neighborhood.

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 10:09

Great pics of the waxwings, as usual, Konrad. Did your wife get her annual wonderful pictures of the Bohemian Waxwing invasion?

Claire

o

Yes she did! It seems they stick around for several weeks/month until flock disperses for breeding,.. still lots of Crab Apples, Mountain Ash, High bush Cranberry, Chokecherries, Russian Olive etc. around, they might even pick off new buds on trees. Only had ones a nest in the backyard around 25 years ago in a little spruce trees about 4 foot up, now that tree is HUGE.
Have never seen the Cedars here in winter, they soon will be returning and I will see usually several nest out on the hobby farm, [above pictures] planted several hundred spruce trees from seeds. Hardly ever see Bohemian nest,..I'll have to ask them where they go.

o

Konrad, as always, your pics are stunning! Thx for bringing the beauty of nature so close to us.

o

I have never got to see one of these birds. Do they come to my area? I live in Middle TN.

o

For the first time I had a couple in my crabapple tree the other day. Those are cool nest shots and the photo of the Bohemians is awesome.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIi3DdVFICI&list=UUgWUFVeHbOLgjpcVfjk1jAA&feature=share&index=1

o

there's 1/2 dozen that seem to be staying. I've been seeing some almost every day

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here