Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID of dead bird

Posted by kendra2 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 12:41

Just to avoid cat stuff, my cat is strictly an indoor cat. He has never been let outside. It was in the teens this morning, with a snowstorm. We do not have a fireplace with a chimney that birds could come down. So the only way this bird could have gotten in is when my husband left for work. He does not leave doors open, so this was just an odd and unfortunate occurrence to say the least. I caught the cat with something in his mouth in my kitchen, and it turned out to be this bird. I do not recognize it, and wondered if anyone can tell the identity of this bird. You can see that it has white wing bars. There appears to be some yellow on the back of the head and a bit of yellow around the neck in the front.

underside of bird
 photo unknown_bird_bottom_sm_zps2e56dc3c.jpg

Top side of bird
 photo unknown_bird_top_sm_zpsc587a097.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID of dead bird

Looks like a lesser goldfinch going by a photo in Audubon handbook

o

• Posted by TMFF 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 20:32

Agree with Goldfinch but, keeping range in mind, I'd say it's an adult nonbreeding American Goldfinch, probably female.

o

I'm sorry, I should have stated that I'm in MA. So it can't be a Lesser Goldfinch since they're on the west coat. I do thank you for trying though. TMFF you are usually spot on with bird ID's. Can you explain the brown back/shoulder area? And why the head appears green? My understanding is that yellow is pigment, while green means a mix with blue which is done through refraction (since there is no blue pigment in bird feathers). While you may be correct (you usually are) I just can't see the American Goldfinch in the colors of this bird? I have many American Goldfinches around here, but this does not look like them at all.

o

Certainly looks like an American Goldfinch to me. Some of the feathers probably appear greenish because they are wet is my guess. But based on all the other features of this birds plumage, it is a goldfinch.

BN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here