Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dead bird........what kind? :(

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 9:37

I looked out my back door and saw this poor dead bird off the deck, in the snow. It looked like maybe a cardinal. How did it die? .......hit a window? a predator? old age? I felt really bad. I went out to move it and the closer I got, I really couldn't figure out what kind of bird it was. I stood there for a minute, trying to think what bird could it be???
Then it hit me...........It was my well cover sticking out of the snow! Hahahahahaha I was so relieved! But I did feel a little silly!

photo IMG_0753_zpsfd9a792a.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dead bird........what kind? :(

Oh my God I felt bad reading the subject line but had to see --- at first thought I said to myself it looks like a duck, poor thing. I'm relieved and still giggling! It's odd what the brain sees when you have a preconceived idea about something, isn't it? I totally saw a bird head!!! That's so funny!!

o

Haha Hostanista..........I didn't even look at it the way you did! I was seeing the head on the right, and the tail at the far left, with the body inbetween! Like it was laying face down. haha It does look like a duck's head! hahaha

o

I had to laugh as well. I've done the same thing. One day I went out to see what was going on with a large bird perched in a tree branch, but not taking wing for hours. It was a paulownia leaf, lodged in a crabapple tree and fluttering in the breeze. On another day, I went out to investigate what looked like a dove, standing in the shallow edge of our pond, not moving. It was a smooth rock what had fallen into the water.

o

LOL- thx for the laughs- I am relieved! I too saw a "dead" cardinal:-)

o

That was a good one!!

o

Silly me...I'm still trying to figure out how this is NOT a dead bird!

o

LOL sparky! I decided to go take another pic of it, since some of the snow has finally melted. This might help.

photo IMG_3718_zps492fa26c.jpg

o

Still looks like a duck to me!! A fat little duckling (head on the left).

o

Yes.....I can see that too! haha

This morning while I was out in the chicken coop, I looked out the window and swore I was seeing a bobwhite, resting on the ground by the fence. It never moved. It ended up being leaves! haha I guess I'm not hard to fool!

o

Okay, okay...I see it now! :D

o

Ha! I thought it was a cardinal too! There was a dead snag in a tree top on my regular walk & I have thought it was an owl many times. I mean I know that it's there but I still check. Finally the snag blew down & it no longer looks like an owl. I kinda miss it!

o

I don't know if it's just me or my brain or what.....but I've been seeing lots of things this winter that aren't what I thought they were! haha

o

Hahahahahahahaahaah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here