Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problem with starlings

Posted by paf_ky (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 10:39

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to keep starlings from raiding the bird feeder? There is a flock of around a dozen starlings that fly in and in no time flat the feeder is practically empty and the other birds don't have a chance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problem with starlings

not really, unless it gets ugly...even the usda sanctions poisoning starlings in certain instances....here's a snippet of a press report,

The use of this chemical is only effective during the winter months when large flocks consistently feed in one location. During the spring, summer and fall months, the birds are less likely to congregate in large numbers. During these months, the birds feed throughout the city, as well as local fields on grain and insects, making treatment applications impossible.

its best to just wait them out in the winter...the smaller birds all know that there's a pecking order at the feeder and they will wait their turn

o

I find Starlings can only use the wooden feeder in my yard that has a shelf they can perch on. They can't fit on the tube feeders. Plus, I'm noticing the Starlings stay away when it's really cold out. Maybe a different feeder, like a tube feeder, will help?

o

To add to this, they cling on suet cages, gobbling up the entire thing unless I catch them in time. They really are horrible and bullies too, chasing away the woodpeckers.

o

hi I think starling are not all that bad they come and go check what in the feeder if you have bread they love it but the seed sunflower mullet safflower they are not crazy about this picture was taken in Dec 2013 and I don't really mind them

o

I've seen a thing called an Upside Down Suet feeder at some hardware/farm stores that is supposed to deter starlings from feeding, but allow other birds that can feed upside down.. It's a suet cage that hangs horizontal with a lid on top. Might be worth looking for?

vince

o

I live in the different planet because they ignoring my feeders completely. And they getting harassed by my little budgies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here