Return to the Bird Watching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fat from ground beef okay to use in suet?

Posted by trowelgal (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 9:49

Have never seen this addressed. I cooked some hamburger last night and drained off the fat into a soup can. It was solid by this morning and instead of tossing it out it occurred to me I might be able to mix it with some oatmeal and put it in my suet basket. Have any of you done this or something similar? Your thought will be appreciated. Thanks.
Trowelgal in Kansas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fat from ground beef okay to use in suet?

I think you may need more "binder" in it so it doesn't just melt. I am sure someone here will advise.

o

i make my own suet all the time. and i save all the fats from pork beef chicken and mix with peanut butter and oatmeal or cornmeal or mixed bird seed and add some lard or shortning. i mix till i get a thick dough that i can mold into the cage or crumble in a pan. i sometimes also use the plastic containers that berrys come in and freeze the extra containers to use later. the bottom half of a raspberry or blueberrys container will fit in most cages

o

I have used raw suet, rendered suet, Snowcap lard, and bacon fat in the mixture I make. They all work well. I don't eat meat, but would think that hamburger grease would be very similar to rendered suet, which is beef fat that is heated and strained to remove the pieces of meat and gristle.

o

Thanks for your responses. I mixed the beef fat with lard and whole wheat flour. Refrigerated it and it solidified nicely. It's outside now and has had some bird activity already.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bird Watching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here