Black Rat Snake(Arkansas)

dbarronAugust 19, 2014

Well, I went outside and saw about a 4 foot rat snake sunning. I called a neighbor over to confirm he wasn't a cottonmouth (I thought not..but he was black and pretty thick and aggressive). We didn't harm him, though he was ready to defend himself. Neighbor took off sandal and approached closely with it....snake buried fangs in it repeatedly.

I want to not have the rats, mice, and maybe young rabbits that he will consume...but darn, never seen so aggressive a newly shed snake.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sharon McKenzie

Non-venomous snakes don't have "fangs", though. Are you sure it was not a Black Racer? The highly defensive behavior sounds more typical of a Racer than a Rat Snake.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 8:17PM
dbarron

No, i don't think so...racers are slender..this was a thicker body...which was why doubt entered my mind about cottonmouth. He also had mostly obscured patterns which indicated rat snake.
And I say fangs...as in...buried his teeth in the sandal. I did not catch snake and open his mouth and ask him to say 'Ahhh...' :)

This post was edited by dbarron on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 17:21

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 5:20PM
lazy_gardens

Any snake can have a grumpy day. Racers are permanently annoyed with the world.

Like this one?

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 5:28PM
dbarron

Lol, I've never had a black racer not do what it's name implies...race away.

For me, it's the cottonmouths that absolutely hate me...they inevitably head right for me....I don't stand there to see what their intention is..when they reach me.

By contrast, while aggressive when pestered, this snake laid perfectly still hoping that we wouldn't see him....till he was sure he had been detected, then coiled, and struck (repeatedly). He spent some time up with coils in air too...oddly.

All in all, he put on as much show as a hognose snake (lol).

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 6:55PM
Redfeather54

All snakes have fangs. But non venomous snakes fangs are very tiny, and produce no venom. Poisonous snakes have large fangs and the venom. Also look at the eyes. Non venomous snakes have round pupils. Poisonous snakes have pupils like a cat's eye.

Bookmark   December 9, 2014 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Please identify
Noticed this little guy while mowing... Can anyone...
newbie43
Strange Snake Behavior
I have a red-tail boa that is 5-6 years old. He's always...
Muses_Epiphany
help identifying turtles
Since my frog post was wildly successful I'm going...
KCWildlife
Snake in the Water
Yesterday while I was kayaking I saw a snake swimming...
bob_cville
Small Snake
In 1968, I was in Basic at Ft Campbell. During that...
Tinbucket
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™