A hawk tried to grab my dog.

moddyzgirlOctober 21, 2006

Earlier this morning I took my toy yorkie outside, he's just about 4lbs, and right before my eyes, a hawk swooped down from over top of the house and went after him. I couldn't see the dog because the hawk was so large. Luckily, after screaming and waving my arms, the bird flew up again, and I could see my yorkie hunkered down, terrified. How can I get rid of this hawk, I can't take the dog outside without the hawk circling him, but he never tried to catch him until today. I need help, someone please tell me what to do.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birding_nut

All raptors are protected, so there really isn't much you can do to get "rid of it". You may just have to resort to going outside with your little pooch while he does his business to make sure the hawk doesn't try it again. Also, be careful at night. If you have Great-horned Owls around, a Yorkie would be easy prey for these birds too.

BN

Bookmark   October 25, 2006 at 4:43PM
mike_18

Leave the hawk alone. Get a bigger dog!

Bookmark   December 5, 2006 at 10:07PM
DrHorticulture_

This is one of the disadvantages of having 4 lb dogs. Don't even think about harming the hawk - that's the wrong way to tackle the issue. I'm sorry but the best solution would be to accompany your dog closely at all times on a short leash. Perhaps get a bigger dog to give him company.

Bookmark   December 16, 2006 at 6:28PM
comettose

Walk the dog on a leash every time. Don't leave it outside alone or the bird will take it. That's all you can do. Getting a bigger dog won't protect the little dog. Let them separate for one moment and the little dog will be taken despite the big dog being nearby.

Bookmark   December 31, 2006 at 10:52PM
marylandmojo

moddyzgirl: If it were me, I'd get a New Year's Eve noisemaker of some kind; a horn, or one of those things you crank, that makes a bunch of noise, and carry it with me.

Keep your Yorkie on a short leash, and if the Hawk is bold enough to STILL swoop on it, make a bunch of racket with your noisemaker. Should freak the Hawk into avoiding you and your Yorkie.

Bookmark   January 31, 2007 at 8:59PM
ksfarmer

I think the law allows for a person to protect himself and his property if it is being threatened with harm.

Bookmark   February 5, 2007 at 8:58PM
julysun

I would think only a Golden Eagle, Bald Eagle or a Great Horned Owl would be big enough to take a small dog. A shame to kill one of those or lose your dog. One may be nesting nearby, what region do you live? I would discuss the problem with the local Game Warden. Please don't harm the raptor.
Joe T

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 4:56PM
christy2828

My 18 month old was playing in the front yard yesturday. I was about 15 feet from her. She was crouched on the ground playing with the grass. A hawk swooped down above her, about a foot and a half above her head, and then flew off. It scared both of us, we didn't even see it coming! I would guess it to be a Cooper's Hawk, and obviously a 25 pound toddler would be way too heavy, but it took a look anyways!! Christy

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 11:46AM
Elly_NJ

No, the hawk was not looking at or thinking about taking the baby. The child happened to be there as the hawk swooped past.

Your child is safe.

Bookmark   April 1, 2007 at 10:00PM
christy2828

It clearly was taking a look, I not suggesting she wasn't safe, just thought it was an interesting story.

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 3:31PM
More Discussions
Help I'd
San Diego 2014. Size is small- a little bigger than...
suezbee
Crows and the Garden
There is a crow, or a family of them, that have made...
texascountygardner
Snowies
I've watched and watched this winter, and I haven't...
myfrozenlittlepond
Is this a Cooper's Hawk?
I know the included picture is really bad, but it's...
littleblu87
Cooper's Hawk
I think this is a Cooper's Hawk in the back yard. Here...
tmc2009
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™