gingerpythonApril 13, 2014

is it a cottonmouth?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gingerpython

sorry about the photo quality

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 2:10PM
fhfchrish

That is a Cottonmouth. They are venomous, but not really dangerous or aggressive in any way. All the stories about their aggressive nature are urban legends and old wive's tails.
They are actually slow and sluggish and probably the least likely to bite of all of our venomous snakes.

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 2:57PM
gingerpython

Thanks FHFchrish,
it really was sluggish, wrapped up like a Ball Python, and never showed me it's mouth at all.

We walked past, about a foot away, it never even moved until I hollered at my buddy. I understand they get stepped on a lot.

David

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 11:05PM
Sharon McKenzie

Most of the Cottonmouths I've encountered do the "Ball Python" thing, too. I did a photo shoot a few years ago with a huge female Cotton that was freshly-caught by a friend of mine. She'd do the mouth-gape thing, but I wanted to try to get a video of a strike. She refused to cooperate, and just tucked her head underneath her body and coiled into a compact ball when the mouth-gape failed to scare us away.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 3:51PM
danetherton

Most snake bites happen from people walking along with their brains disengaged and not paying attention and stepping on the snake (I would bite too!), or getting too close and scaring it (snakes do not bite due to "being mad"), or "messing with it", when leaving it alone would be the best bet. Thanks for leaving it alone!

Alex

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Snake in the Water
Yesterday while I was kayaking I saw a snake swimming...
bob_cville
Unknown snake in South America
Hi, I live in Medellin, in Colombia, and today I found...
vgarzon
Snake id
Hi, we just moved from apt to home with a wooded view....
archoo16
What is this snake?
I was playing in the park with my son when we nearly...
spmillsy
amphibian
ID please
yesim
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™