A green insect that looks like a bit like leaves?

dragonstoneSeptember 23, 2006

A short while ago, I was in my backyard watering my elephant ears when suddenly I realized that this was a bug and not a crumpled leaf. I was suddenly surprised that I ran in and got a digital camera.

I did a search online and didn't find anything so I pretty much gave up. I figured it was one of those rare bugs that just pop up and disappear and no one would quite know what it was.

Until tonight when I saw two!

Bad picture since it was taken at night:

Does anyone have any idea on what they are? I thought maybe it could be a type of grasshopper but even that search isn't bringing anything up.

It's incredibly neat how the body looks like a leaf was folded in the right places.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardeningfireman

Dragonstone,
Those are katydids. We have them all over. That is what you hear calling at night- the two to three syllable calls.

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 10:07PM
chuckr30

They make a rough sound, kind of like when you run a comb on your fingernails. It sounds like "zz-zz-zz" or "ka-ty-did".

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 4:27PM
victoria_1573_msn_com

I was watering my hibiscus when I saw this green bug that was at least 2 1/2" long with big hind legs for hopping and a flat, almost square head. I plucked it off my bush and it flew away! Are they harmful to gardens? Or are they good for a garden?

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 11:42PM
carolb_w_fl

They eat leaves, but not a lot, IMPE - tend to be nocturnal, I believe.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 8:55AM
jlgons_gmail_com

hey guys I got a good one! I have seen 3 of the beautiful katydids recently. is it legal to kill them? sorry I forgot to take a picture..

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 9:20PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Is it LEGAL to kill katydids? Ummm...no, they are not protected by the Department of Natural Resources. It's just senseless to kill them, not illegal.

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Millipedes in my house plants
Hello, Last August, I finally got rid of all my artificial...
samira71w
Pls identify this moth
Hello- Any help would be appreciated. Picture taken...
surya55_gw
Need Help Identifying a Caterpillar
We were out in are garden this evening and spotted...
Lycaon
Friendly moth
I thought I'd share a couple photos of a moth I normally...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™