Will a coyote eat a fox?

ms_minnamouseMarch 4, 2007

I didn't see an actual wildlife forum to ask this so I posted here.

I'm wondering if a coyote will eat a large red fox?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
muddy_sneakers

I don't believe a coyote would kill a red fox simply for food. Overlap in habitat and competition for resources may incite an attack, but I don't think it's a common thing.

Bookmark   March 4, 2007 at 6:08PM
suzq_07

I agree with muddy...territories of the coyote and fox often overlap but they do their best to avoid each other. The two species share the same food sources/prey, so when competition grows, there can be trouble. I've been watching a fox den for four years. Two years ago, the coyotes took over the den and killed two adults. I was never able to determine what happened to the young, but the coyotes rendezvous now at this site, and have taken it over for the most part. Here's great website site for fox info, and they even have a nice forum for fox lovers: http://www.foxforest.org/

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 10:34AM
jgrow

Yes, coyotes will intentionally target a fox as a food source. This is a documented fact. That is why the appearance of coyotes in a area with a fox population will result in decreased fox numbers. Coyotes have a broad palate and can out compete a fox in most environs.

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 3:17PM
kentuck_8b

Coyotes will not normally attack and eat foxes, but if food is scarce, they will eat them if already dead as in the case of road kill or some other misfortune ending in death to the fox.

In our area, we are loaded with both coyotes and foxes. Coyotes will normally hunt prey that will not put up a fight, such as rats, rabbits, chickens, and even small calves, but rarely go after a fox, cat, dog, possum, or coon since they offer too much resistance when attacked.

Kt

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 9:17PM
plf333

In the city they often target dogs n cats. Have seen it. From my experience, coyotes never seemed too particular about who they eat, if an opportunity shows up, meal- time! Peg

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Identify this young snake?
We found this baby (about 5 inches long) outside our...
digger12
seriously strange snowprint
Twice in my life have I seen this and neither time...
vermontlove
What's this itty-bitty boneyard?
OK, it's chitin, not bone. I found this on top of a...
davec426913
Help identify this snake
Hello! We recently found this snake underneath our...
amylynn84
Strange Black Cat
I was hunting sitting a Deer Blind, and a black cat...
Wrm11
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™