Busy bee or nectar-loving fly?

MarcPerrAugust 9, 2014

I know this photo is bad but this bee or wasp or whatever it is, was constantly on the movie devouring nectar from this plant. I don't know the plant, either but those green bumps open into small red flower cups.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tucker_sp

Neither - it is a wasp. It appears to be a bald-faced hornet, the sort that makes the very large paper nests in trees, etc.

Tucker

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 10:14PM
MarcPerr

That's definitely what it looks like. Thank you! Here is a photo of a nest I took a couple years ago. Is this the nest they build?

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 11:18PM
larry_gene

Yes, that is typical of a hornet's nest.

The two pairs of wings (actually 3 wings are visible, implying the 4th) would have ruled this out as a fly.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:16AM
MarcPerr

Thank you, Larry.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 8:45AM
captn.bob

I know the value of bee's and love seeing them on my garden and flowers BUT...........they have started to move in on my hummingbird feeders. I have several feeders around the yard and many hummingbirds but the bee's have discovered their feeders and are driving the birds away. I don't want to kill the bee's or remove the feedeers but i can't have the bee's covering the feeders and making it dangerous for me and the dogs. HELP!!!! Is there something or someway to keep my feeders up and still not draw the bee's to the feeders???? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated tried. Thanks, Bob in Texas

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 10:11AM
larry_gene

You might get more answers on the Hummingbird forum.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Is this bug dangerous?
Hello! I would like to ask anyone to help me identify...
alvacgz
Help Save the Monarch Butterflies
Hi, All! Just wanted you to be aware of this link that...
Evelyn256
Weird insect with many legs, what is it?
I saw this insect some time ago: https://scontent-a-vie.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10919058_10205906926655540_7425913311943803648_n.jpg?oh=41479e9f218c5dae42981cefd42afe07&oe=556E0CA3 Can...
Placebo
Where are the Ladybugs !
Ladybugs are hibernating in the high country in California...
laisseraller
Raising Praying Mantis help??advice??
This spring I was hoping to start two cocoons of Praying...
dbobul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™