When do I put down milky spore?

ellieandethansmomJune 27, 2005

We have japanese beetles, heard milky spore is a great natural solution, better than the beetle bags. Is it possible to put it down in late summer to kill the larvae, or only in spring? Also, will I make any difference if I just spray/shake it in my area, or will it only work if the entire neighborhood does it? Where do you get it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Milky spore should be applied in the late summer or fall. Success is soil type and pH dependant, and may take 2 to 5 years before you see a substantial change in the grub population (the average is 3 years). In the meantime, put away your traps, which attract more beetles into your yard.

Beetle damage may not be indicitive of the grub problem you have. If you have more than your fair share of plants that JB love, or you are luring them into your yard, you will have all sorts of damage from the adults but may not have a grub infestation. Do a grub scout of a sunny portion of your lawn to determine the population.

If your JB issue is from neighboring grub infestations, your application of milky spore is a waste of time and money.

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
Where are the Ladybugs !
Ladybugs are hibernating in the high country in California...
laisseraller
Help Save the Monarch Butterflies
Hi, All! Just wanted you to be aware of this link that...
Evelyn256
Need Help Identifying a Caterpillar
We were out in are garden this evening and spotted...
Lycaon
Friendly moth
I thought I'd share a couple photos of a moth I normally...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
Bug ID please
I've only recently been seeing lots of these (not the...
bendyrulz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™