Sparrow with no tail?

schoolhouse_gwOctober 27, 2009

I really couldn't believe it,but he appeared so round and plump I knew that something was missing. No tail! He was sitting on the porch while the rest of the sparrows flitted around the bird feeder. Just to see if he could fly, I rapped on the window and off he flew. Obviously a close encounter with a predator? I guess he'll be alright, didn't see a gaping wound just a little white stub. He was tan with brown, not the grey with a black head; certain he was a sparrow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brianguy

wish you could've gotten a pic!!

Here is a link that might be useful: binocular harness

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 7:43PM
schoolhouse_gw

Honestly, I stood at the window for quite awhile after my post hoping to see it among all the other sparrows and if I did to try and snap a photo. Maybe it will be back tomorrow. He/she was so cute! Little stumpy butt.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 9:24PM
schoolhouse_gw

I've seen this bird three times since and tried to snap a photo, but the sparrow spooks and flies off. He stays with the flock mostly. In fact just awhile ago I was drinking coffee on the back porch and two bird feeders hang less than three feet away. He landed twice on the feeder but saw me and took off. I watched him go to the other bird feeder that is probably 15yds. away at the edge of the field, and he is now hanging around there with a bunch of other sparrows. Seems to balance okay on the feeder. Looks like a little brown puff ball flying through the air!

I have my camera out now and will give it another try today.

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 12:17PM
schoolhouse_gw

I got him! Pics aren't very clear but I tried to show that his tail is missing or just deformed. Is it a fledgling at this time of year?

He/she is sitting on the other side of the sparrow in the foreground:

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 4:25PM
Elly_NJ

Cats do that to lucky birds. Better than getting mauled.

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 8:41AM
schoolhouse_gw

Doesn't bother his flight any; so I guess he'll be alright. Glad there was no infection, it looks healed back there as far as I can determine. This morning he was on the feeder and suddenly turned and stared through the window at me. Okay! No more photos I promise!

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Is old birdseed safe to use?
I'm in a quandary. We're iced in (Tennessee) and it...
arleneb
American Kestral
Been after this small falcon for months and up until...
TXSkeeter
nyjer seed freshness?
Hi, I read somewhere online that you can tell if nyjer...
laur34
Starling coloration
A few starlings visited this morning. I'm in ec Iowa....
sparky_10
starling sighting praise
Hi folks, Weather here is extremely cold and bitter...
dirt_farmer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™