Does cayenne pepper really deter rodents?

newdaddy2August 4, 2010

I've done some research on the internet and learned that rodents hate cayenne pepper.

But do they really?

Attached is a photo of a platform feeder that I placed right below my tube feeder hanging from a tree, to be used as a debris collector. The platform feeder is covered with cayenne pepper, as can be seen in the photo. The picture is worth a thousand words; the chipmunk doesn't seem deterred or displeased by cayenne pepper. In fact, it is happily collecting sunflower hearts mired in cayenne pepper under the metal mesh.

So, is this particular chipmunk a mutant that is somehow immune to cayenne pepper?

More importantly, does this mean vermins like mice or rats may not be deterred by cayenne pepper? I'm not so much worried about squirrels/chipmunks raiding my birdfeeder as mice/rats. I cover the birdfeeders at night but there is always the inevitable seed spillage on the ground that rodents just love to forage. Much as I like watching birds eating from my feeders, I'd rather do away with the feeders if I can't rest assured that mice/rats are being kept at bay with cayenne pepper.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glad2garden

That's a really nice feeder!

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 5:19PM
newdaddy2

Thanks. I bought it from Lowes. manufactured by Garden Treasures. It has small irrigation holes on the bottom and also comes with the metal mesh. I think it's more functional and durable than platform feeders made of wood.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 12:20AM
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

I've used the C&S Hot Pepper Suet and the squirrels left it alone. I've also used a pepper (capsaicin) spray on wisteria and rhododendron buds with some success. The squirrels decimate one particular rhododendron (Percy Wiseman) in late winter. Unfortunately they take a bite and don't like it. Then a day or so later one of them takes a bite and doesn't like it. After a while there are no bites left. Next winter I'm constructing a rhododendron cage.

Claire

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 5:36PM
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

As to your original question, I have no idea if cayenne pepper deters mice and rats. It's not a problem for me.

Claire

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 5:39PM
chinamigarden

Cayenne might not be hot enough.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
Id this bird from Richmond, VA
Hi folks a friend of mine just took these pics outside...
ggopal
starling sighting praise
Hi folks, Weather here is extremely cold and bitter...
dirt_farmer
Mandarin Duck in San Jose, CA
This guy is spectacular, but he isn't an American Wood...
BearState
Snowy Owls
The Snowy Owl invasion is back again this year. Not...
crunchpa
Rare Visitor
First time for the Pileated Woodpecker. Nearly twice...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™