Bluebird flocks

kendra2003October 9, 2009

How many of you are seeing the Bluebird flocks at this time of year? I haven't seen a Bluebird in my yard since the middle of summer. However, just down the street and up the hill at a neighbor's house, she has a huge flock of them. They are difficult to count, but looks to be between 30-35 of them. They are all over her trees, zooming about, eating berries and fighting the resident HOSPs. They have been there for four days now. They are in the trees all around her house, and it has been a great deal of fun to sit on her porch and watch the beautiful Blues. It gives me hope that I may be able to feed Bluebirds again this winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bridget_bb

Wow, that's a lot of Bluebirds! Haven't seen any flocks but we did have 7 of them visiting the yard all together yesterday. That was a nice surprise!

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 7:28AM
kendra2003

It is a most amazing sight, at least to me. One of the reasons I posted this is because I was wondering if this is pretty normal, even though I've never seen it. Or it is unusual to see so many Blues at once? I really don't know. The large flock is still there as of today. Mostly they are feeding off of berries in the trees.

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 9:00PM
catlady4444

I have had small numbers (one family) of blues year round for almost 2 years, but have never seen a flock. I'm wondering if this has to do with the neighborhood/habitat or just luck??? Kendra, do you live near woods or farmland or suburbs?? My area is a mix of suburbs and wooded areas. Not much "grassland" with the exception of yards like mine.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Ann

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 8:59AM
bet_from_ct

That's quite a crowd! See link below

Here is a link that might be useful: flocks of bluebirds

Bookmark   January 13, 2010 at 9:37PM
kendra2003

Thanks so much for your input Bet. That particular flock moved on after about 4 weeks. I am now hosting a small flock of 10 Eastern Bluebirds. They showed up on Dec. 24th, and have been here numerous times a day ever since. They were waiting for their breakfast this morning. They watch me fill their feeder from high in a tree about 40 feet away. I feed them mealworms and suet crumbles from a recipe I found at your site. I even found the instructions for making the feeder at your site. Thanks so much for putting in all the time to share all that information with us.

Bookmark   January 14, 2010 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
I might lose bluebird nestling today
I have 4 bluebird babies, and they are supposed to...
stal14
Wonderful BlueBird Photo
I saw a wonderful photo of two BlueBirds in flight...
Carrene
Hi, I haven't been on here in YEARS1
Who said female BBs were drab never seen a beauty like...
cathy_in_mi
Looking for Urban bluebirding suggestions.
Hi guys, I live in a city of approximately 12,000 population....
BobsFarm
Mourning a loss- Need support
Hello, This is my first post and unfortunately not...
Natrgrl33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™