Clues to what killed the birds?

catherinetFebruary 6, 2014

I don't feed the birds except in severe weather.........which we are having now. I have a big plant saucer on the ground and put mixed seed in it every day. Twice now, I've seen just feathers. I think its from juncos.

Since there's snow, I can see footprints, but the only footprints I think I saw were rabbits and maybe deer.

So I'm thinking a hawk? If its a hawk versus a cat, or something else, are there different clues that would let me know what might be doing this? There are only a fair number of feathers.......no blood or body parts.
Any idea?
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kendra2003

I've had that happen (though to Blue Jays). My guess if there are no Cat footprints would be a Sharp-Shinned or a Coopers. I'm pretty sure a Coopers got a few of the Blue Jays around here because I had seen one hanging out from time to time.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 2:04PM
don_in_colorado

As Kendra suggested, with the absence of cat tracks, a bird of prey is a pretty good bet.

Don B.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 8:55PM
birding_nut

And Sharp-shinneds and Coopers eat the whole bird, most often plucking it and then consuming the body parts starting with the head. I have watched Sharp-shinneds eat all the bones, including the entire legs and feet (they rip the leg off and swallow it whole). So, with these hawks, you usually only find the feathers...and sometimes the beak depending on the bird species that was killed.

BN

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 11:40AM
catherinet

Thanks everyone.

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 12:39PM
surya55_gw

Catherinet- I'm sorry for the birds- they risk their lives to grab a quick bite. It's a shame the dreadful winter we're having so far. I am WAY over my budget for bird food but there's a ton of ice/snow and nothing else for them to eat or peck at.

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 12:18PM
Aurore

Are there a lot of feathers?
If there are only a few little fluffy ones it could be nothing more than the birds squabbling among themselves over the food.

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 4:54PM
catherinet

There were quite a few feathers. :(

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 7:07PM
More Discussions
I need help identifying a bird.
I saw a small bird at my feeder that I have never seen...
jackieg51
flock of robins in winter in PA
We have had a few robins in past winters here in Fayetteville...
Lindy62
A charm of finches a gaggle of geese
What names are given to collections of birds 1- a charm...
charmofinches
Snowy Owls
The Snowy Owl invasion is back again this year. Not...
crunchpa
Common Redpoll?
I just got a quick glimpse and pic of this bird yesterday...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™