Home made bird feeder

neill123February 17, 2014

Hi, just came across this fantastic bird feeding activity, its a pine cone feeder and looked really easy to make. I tried it with my children and the results were great, the cone attracted many species of birds to the garden and we enjoyed the making them, have a look at the recipe here.

Here is a link that might be useful: bird feeder

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JordanWalker

Thank you for sharing us this helpful information on how to make a home made bird feeder. I will try to make it with my nephew this coming weekend. I'm sure that it will be a great bonding for us and at the same time it will attract birds in our backyard. Thank you again for sharing this.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 5:06AM
surya55_gw

Thank you; I just checked it out. I have everything to make them but can't since the squirrels here are terrible to suet in any form. They "stole" my suet cages. Frustrated, I recently bought something callled a "suet palace" from amazon, put it up and they were still trying to get to the suet! They can't now though but my faithful red-bellied woodpecker doesn't know where the suet went. Smaller birds get to it easily.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 10:43AM
lascatx

Some other easy ideas kids like --

Tie peanuts on a tring. You need at least two in a pod so you have a narrow spot for the string and you can tie several on a length of string. You can hang them anywhere, but it's especially fun if you have a "squirrel proof" feeder. Blue jays and woodpeckers love them and the squirrels will try to figure out how to get to them.

Drill large holes (using a small circle saw bit) into a piece of dropped tree branch and fill with a mixture of peanut butter, cornmeal and birdseed. .

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 12:23AM
grandmamaloy

LOVE this idea! My grandchildren are always enthralled by the activity at my bird feeders. This is a fantastic project to do with them and I like the other ideas that've been shared as well. I'm printing the recipe and making note of the other ideas. We don't have a lot of pine cones around here though; sounds like a good reason to take a field trip!

Thanks for sharing!

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 11:28AM
bakin4bassets

In extreme cold I just smear peanut butter directly on the tree trunks. That way I can spread "the joy" without further equipment. Sometimes it looks like a Christmas tree out there with Red-bellies, Blue jays & Goldfinches on the trees.
Susan

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 7:29PM
More Discussions
Pileated friends
I just observed two woodpeckers go round and round...
deeinmd
I'm finding this new format uncomfortable to look at.
Anyone else finding that to be so, too? It's just...
catherinet
Eagles
We have been blessed with the visit of 30 or more Eagles...
crunchpa5b
nut thacher
first time I see a nut thatcher on my feeder
Lorna1949
Starling hordes
Lately my feeders, especially the one with Pennington...
tindersawtelle
Sponsored Products
Fargo Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$876.60 | Bellacor
Vintage Handcrafted Wood Table Lamp with Fabric Bell Shade
ParrotUncle
Somerset Gold Runner: 2 Ft. 3 In. x 8 Ft. Rug
$110.95 | Bellacor
Linnette Rug 10' x 14' - CAMEL
$3,099.00 | Horchow
Royal Gold Tassel Christmas Stocking Christmas Decor
$69.50 | FRONTGATE