problem with starlings

paf_kyJanuary 24, 2014

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to keep starlings from raiding the bird feeder? There is a flock of around a dozen starlings that fly in and in no time flat the feeder is practically empty and the other birds don't have a chance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GHGmill

not really, unless it gets ugly...even the usda sanctions poisoning starlings in certain instances....here's a snippet of a press report,

The use of this chemical is only effective during the winter months when large flocks consistently feed in one location. During the spring, summer and fall months, the birds are less likely to congregate in large numbers. During these months, the birds feed throughout the city, as well as local fields on grain and insects, making treatment applications impossible.

its best to just wait them out in the winter...the smaller birds all know that there's a pecking order at the feeder and they will wait their turn

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 5:59PM
farmboy1

I find Starlings can only use the wooden feeder in my yard that has a shelf they can perch on. They can't fit on the tube feeders. Plus, I'm noticing the Starlings stay away when it's really cold out. Maybe a different feeder, like a tube feeder, will help?

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:02PM
surya55_gw

To add to this, they cling on suet cages, gobbling up the entire thing unless I catch them in time. They really are horrible and bullies too, chasing away the woodpeckers.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:59PM
Lorna1949

hi I think starling are not all that bad they come and go check what in the feeder if you have bread they love it but the seed sunflower mullet safflower they are not crazy about this picture was taken in Dec 2013 and I don't really mind them

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 6:55PM
farmboy1

I've seen a thing called an Upside Down Suet feeder at some hardware/farm stores that is supposed to deter starlings from feeding, but allow other birds that can feed upside down.. It's a suet cage that hangs horizontal with a lid on top. Might be worth looking for?

vince

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 10:26PM
starlinka

I live in the different planet because they ignoring my feeders completely. And they getting harassed by my little budgies!

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 11:43PM
More Discussions
Old member - new to the birdwatching forum
I've been on Gardenweb since 2003, and lurked on this...
momj47
blue jay love peanuts why do i never see the steller Jay?
here is some blue jay picture yes having fun and any...
Lorna1949
Id this duck please
I apologize if I asked this one before. I took this...
ggopal
Starling hordes
Lately my feeders, especially the one with Pennington...
tindersawtelle
Eagles
We have been blessed with the visit of 30 or more Eagles...
crunchpa5b
Sponsored Products
Naturally Cooling Ceramic Carafe by Magisso
$65.00 | Lumens
Little Cottage 12 x 10 ft. Value Gable Precut Storage Shed - 10X12 VGS-WPC
Hayneedle
Indoor Ceiling Fans and Light: Hampton Bay Chantelle II 52 in. New Tortoise Shel
Home Depot
Walker Loveseat - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
WAC White Xenon 12" Wide Under Cabinet Light Bar
Euro Style Lighting
European Pedestal Oil Rubbed Bronze Bath Towel Rack
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™